Section: Construction as continuation of heretofore existing laws
19:14-4. In the center of the ballot immediately below the perforated line shall be printed in bold-faced type the words "Official general election ballot." Below these words and extending across the ballot shall appear the words: "Name of (municipality), ...................... ward, .................... election district, ...................... date of election, .................. John Doe, county clerk." The blank spaces shall be filled in with the name of the proper municipality, the ward and district numbers and the date of the election. For school elections the name of the school district and of the municipality or municipalities comprising the district shall also be indicated thereon. The name of the county clerk shall be a facsimile of his signature. Below the last stated words extending across the ballot and at the extreme left shall be printed the words "Instructions to the voter," and immediately to the right there shall be a bracket embracing the following instructions numbered consecutively:
(1) The only kind of a mark to be made on this ballot in voting shall be a cross x, plus + or check .
(2) To mark a cross x , plus +, check or when writing a name on this ballot use only ink or pencil.
(3) To vote for any candidates whose names are printed in any column, mark a cross x , plus + or check in the square at the left of the names of such candidates not in excess of the number to be elected to the office.
(4) To vote for any person whose name is not printed on this ballot, write or paste the name of such person under the proper title of office in the column designated personal choice and mark a cross x , plus + or check in the square to the left of the name so written or pasted.
(5) To vote upon any public question printed on this ballot if in favor thereof, mark a cross x , plus + or check in the square at the left of the word "Yes," and if opposed thereto, mark a cross x , plus + or check in the square at the left of the word "No."
(6) Do not mark this ballot in any other manner than above provided for and make no erasures. Should this ballot be wrongly marked, defaced, torn or any erasure made thereon or otherwise rendered unfit for use return it and obtain another. In presidential years, the following instructions shall be printed upon the general election ballot:
(7) To vote for all the electors of any party, mark a cross x , plus + or check in ink or pencil in the square at the left of the surnames of the candidates for president and vice-president for whom you desire to vote.
Below the above-stated instructions and information and, except when compliance with section 19:14-15 of this Title as to Statewide propositions otherwise requires, three inches below the perforated line and parallel to it, there shall be printed a six-point diagram rule extending across the ballot to within not less than a half inch to the right and left edges of the paper.
Amended 1941,c.166,s.2; 1947,c.104,s.1; 1994,c.77,s.6; 1995,c.278,s.17.
We hope you find our tools helpful, please visit www.thelegalassistant.com for further information on our other free legal tools and products including LPO compliant legal case management software.